Saturday, May 12, 2012

A School Year In The Trenches

A School Year In the TrenchesI know you have not heard from me for quite a while, but if I have nothing new.  to say, I won't say anything.  This means that I want to share some information and thoughts with you that I believe are important.  I have spent this past year substitute teaching in the classes of mostly young children-Pre-K-3 and this is what I have seen and experienced...
  • Children having to sit and listen too long.
  • Worksheets and workbooks that teach phonics.
  • Too many children in the classroom...Kindergartens of 28.
  • In some cases, a very long day.
  • Children not knowing how to cut and paste.
  • Children not knowing their right from their left.
  • Children constantly tattling.
  • Children unable to solve their problems.
  • Children crying.
  • Teachers frustrated because they have to implement a canned curriculum                               that teaches to the test and goes against what they know children should be doing                   and how they should do it.      
  •  Rigidity and an intellectual only approach to working with young children.
  • Capable, creative children, being forced to do things in one way.
  • Children who are out of control, being labeled as "bad" at a young age.
  • Children who are disrespectful  of each other, adults and the materials they work with.
  • Grown-ups forgetting what it is like to be children.
 And I could go on.  I would like to say that I am impressed with what is happening in the Early Childhood classes and in a few schools.  The trouble seems to begin in Kindergarten. Kindergarten used to be about socialization. Now it is about learning to read before most are ready. As a result, I spent much of my time having to solve problems, stop what I was doing to wait for certain children to attend, and wipe tears...sometimes my own. This is exhausting work.
I would like to add that I am an experienced teacher who has taught for 25 years and taught "Guidance Strategies" at a Community College. I have a Master's Degree in the Art of Teaching and Learning. I thought I could at least make a difference for a day in the lives of children.  Now I am not so sure that the toll this job is taking on me is worth my idealism.  
I hope that what I am writing, stirs up some concern as the "TCAPs" are no difference that the "CSAPs." It is our  good teachers, our children and public education itself that is at stake.
I am off to look for a job at Hobby Lobby. The pay is the same as it is for Subbing, and it would be nice to be in a supportive, creative place.  

.

No comments:

Post a Comment