Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tiger Mom?

A child's work is play!

I consider myself a student and a life-long learner, as well as an Early Childhood expert and advocate, so I am intrigued by the
attention that is being paid to the "Tiger Mom" publication.
Sure children need structure, high standards and practice. What they do not need is stress, isolation and totally scheduled time.
  • Children will learn in a rich environment.
  • Children will learn by being surrounded by supportive people.
  • Children will learn by positive models.
  • Children will learn when there are consequences for their actions.
  • Children will  learn through experience.
  • Children will learn best when they are relaxed and comfortable taking risks. 
In her book, Amy Chua, is leaving out an important component in child-raising...socialization.
  • Children need  to learn to work with others.
  • Children need to understand that what they do affects others in either a good way or a bad way. (Adults could learn this too)
  • Children need to believe that learning involves hard work, but can be fun at the same time.
  • Children need to always want to learn more.
  • Both good behavior and curiosity must be intrinsic.
From what I know of The Tiger Mom,  and what I see in some Kindergarten classrooms, I worry.  What I see in the classrooms are children who can sound out words phonetically, but are not engaged.  They can recognize sight words, but they are not excited about learning.  They can sit still if they have to, but they are not joyful. They are not together as a community of learners.
I guess you can tell that I am not, and never was, a "Tiger Mom."
Actually, I was, and am a "Tickle Mom."
My own children are now grown. I made some mistakes and they have gone through some very difficult times. Yet, they are strong, responsible, creative, and caring adults and as a result, I would recommend "Tickles" over "Tigers."
Here are some adult reading suggestions:
  • The Hurried Child, by David Elkind
  • All Grown Up and No Place to Go, by David Elkind.
  • Multiple Intelligences,  by Howard Gardner
  • Friendship Note Paper: The Fundraiser That Builds a Community of Learners., by Jane Diamond. (Me)

And for children...

  • Lilly's Purple Purse: by Kevin Henkes.
  • The Big Orange Splot: by Daniel Pinkwater.
  • Alexander And The Very Bad Day,  by Judith Viorst.
  • Miss Rumphius,  by Barbara Cooney.
  • Roxaboxen, by Alice McClearen.
Must see film: "Race to Nowhere." Next showing at Arapahoe Community College. Feb. 8th. Waring Theater. $10, $15 at the door. http://rtnarapahoecc.evenbrite.com

I welcome your thoughts and comments and wish the children whose lives you touch many "Tickles."
 Jane


                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment