Thursday, December 9, 2010

What is "Developmentally Appropriate?"

I hear: I forget.
I see: I remember.
I do: I understand.
-Chinese proverb-

I have two grandnephews, ages 6 and 3, and a new grandniece, who is 5 months old. As I watch them, I am in awe at how different they are, but how they all have some traits that are the same. They are curious, willing to try new things, to take risks and to want to know more. I feel unconditional love for them and they know it. I believe they will learn to read and write, succeed academically and, hopefully, become life-long learners. I also know that things will "click" when the time is right. (Some say that when you loose your first tooth, you are ready to read.)
We can force phonics and learning to read upon them and they might read, but when they are ready they will learn easily and want to know more. Here are some things that we need to provide, both at home and in school:
  •       Hands-on experiences that they will internalize and build upon.
  •      Social opportunities that teach  how get along with others. (Most things that can be done alone, can be done in pairs or in small groups.)
  •     Opportunities to make choices that will lead to helping make good decisions.
  •     Problem solving opportunities so children learn to compromise when it is in the best interest of the group.
  •     Encouragement to take risks in an environment that is safe and supportive.
  •     A knowledge of who they are, what they are good at and what they love, leading to self-confidence.
  •     A love of books...read and discuss stories. Bedtime stories are a must, but don't only need to read at bedtime.
  •     A curiosity and excitement about all there is to learn. They will become life-long learners.
Sooooo...guess what I am giving the children for the Holidays...
BOOKS. I went to "The Bookies", a fantastic book store in Denver,  and, with guidance, picked out the perfect stories for each.
For the baby I got a new board book by Mem Fox, one of my favorite authors. Where Is the Green Sheep? makes us wonder where the green sheep is when we know that "here is the blue sheep..." etc. I got her a little, soft, green sheep to accompany it.
For the 3 year old, who is so scared of dogs, I selected Children Make Terrible Pets,  by Peter Brown. It is a humorous tale of what happens when a bear finds a little boy,"Squeaky" who he takes home and convinces his mother to let him keep him. She reluctantly agrees, but refuses to take any responsibility for the care of the "pet."
And, for the 6 year old I got a new book by Eric Carle, Papa, please get the moon for me.  This is the story about what happens when a father tries to fulfill his daughters wish to get the moon for her. The book incorporates some pop-out pages, is simple, beautifully illustrated and, I believe, leaves room for the reader to create their own ending. Maybe he can even read it himself!
I will write a short message inside the cover for each child.
I intend to help see that these children are not "hurried" through their childhood.
If you choose to do just one thing for your child (children) take the time to read to them each day. They will learn that reading is much more than sounding out words. It is a skill that will enrich and add joy to life.
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment